J-1 Visa for Scholars

J-1 status is used for professors, research scholars, short-term scholars and specialists for temporary participation in approved programs of teaching, research, observation and consultation. J-1 scholars are not enrolled in classes at UC Davis and are here primarily to do research or teach. The two most common types of J-1 visitors to UC Davis are research scholars and professors. Postdocs, lecturers, visiting scientists and visiting researchers are all eligible to apply for a J-1 visa.

Undergraduate Student Researchers may also apply for a J-1 visa to participate full-time in a prescribed course of study or research project toward a degree at their home institution.