Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training

Practical training authorization permits you to take a job that is directly related to your field of studies and commensurate with your educational level. In most cases, you must have been a full-time student for at least nine months prior to applying for practical training permission. You may work in practical training either prior to or after completion of studies. Please make an appointment with an SISS advisor for further information on practical training guidelines and application procedures.


  • Must be in good academic and immigration status.
  • Must be pursuing a full course of study, except during official school breaks and vacations.
  • Off-campus employment (paid or unpaid) requires prior authorization from SISS.
  • Graduate students who have a 75% appointment must get part-time CPT to cover the portion ineligible for on campus employment.

Curricular Practical Training

Handouts for Employers

Other Student Employment Information

Students who are being paid for work in the United States will need to apply for a Social Security Number and plan to file taxes.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Information