Academic Training (AT)

Students in J-1 status may accept employment under certain conditions. This web page is provided for informational purposes only. If you have questions about or would like to determine your eligibility for J-1 employment, please contact Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS).

All Academic Training must be authorized

Academic training is authorization that allows a student to participate in practical training directly related to the major field of study.

  • Students must be in good academic status
  • At the same time of a program of study
    • Academic Training can begin as soon as the first day of the program of study.
  • Following a program of study
    • Academic Training must be authorized prior to the last day of the program of study.
    • Academic Training can start as late as 30 days following the program of study.

Please view the online AT powerpoint before contacting an SISS advisor for additional help.

How much Academic Training can I request? 

Use the Academic Training calculator  to determin your eligibility:

  • EAP and other non-degree category students can request Academic Training up to the length of their program.  (i.e. 3 months of study = 3 months of eligibility)
  • Degree seeking students can request up to 18 months of Academic Training
  • Doctoral students are can request an additional 18 months of Academic Training upon the completion of their degree.

What if I am a graduate student with a 75% appointment?

Academic Training can be authorized for the portion of the appointment that exceeds on campus employment eligibility.

How to request Academic Training authorization

Fill out the Academic Training request form found here.

  1. Upload your employment offer
  2. Enter information for your graduate coordinator, major advisor, or EAP on campus advisor (see eform for details).

You will be notified by email when your Academic Training request has been processed.

You will need to get a Social Security Number if you do not already have one.

More information can be found on our Social Security page.