Coronavirus Information and Resources for UC Davis International Students and Scholars

We continue to follow the developments of Coronavirus (COVID-19) and monitor situations on campus and around the world. Your wellbeing and educational experience are our prioritiesSee the updates and resourcesThe UC Davis International Center is currently closed, but we are still here to help: please email your SISS advisor directly with questions or to set up a remote appointment. Find your advisor listed on our Contact Us page.


Curricular Practical Training FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions about Curricular Practical Training
  • Are there any circumstances in which an international student can volunteer off-campus and NOT need authorization?  Does all off campus volunteering require CPT authorization? 
  • Off-campus volunteer work is always tricky and you should always consult with your SISS advisor before undertaking it.  If the volunteer work is related to your major, you must o

Curricular Practical Training Eligibility

To be eligible for Curricular Practical Training:
  • You must be in good academic and immigration status. 
  • You must be pursuing a full course of study, except during official school breaks and vacations. 
  • CPT is considered off-campus employment (paid or unpaid) and requires authorization from SISS before you can begin. 
  • If an internship is not required for

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training Overview

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorization permits F-1 students to take an off campus job (work/study, internship, cooperative education, or practicum) that is directly related to their field of study and commensurate with their educational level.  

Changes to CPT Authorizations

September 14, 2018
Due to recent changes in USCIS policy, SISS will no longer approve on-campus positions more than 50% during academic terms.