Students in J-1 status may accept employment under certain conditions. If you have questions about or would like to determine your eligibility for J-1 employment, please contact Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS).
Academic training is authorization that allows a student to participate in practical training directly related to the major field of study.
- Students must be in good academic status
- If employed at the same time of a program of study
- Academic Training can begin as soon as the first day of the program of study.
- If employed following a program of study
- Academic Training must be authorized prior to the last day of the program of study.
- Academic Training can start as late as 30 days following the program of study.
Please view the online AT powerpoint before contacting an SISS advisor for additional help.
How to request Academic Training authorization
Fill out the Academic Training request form found in iGlobal
- Upload your employment offer
- Enter information for your graduate coordinator, major advisor, or EAP on campus advisor (see eForm for details)
- Make sure you have a Social Security Number
You will be notified by email when your Academic Training request has been processed.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much Academic Training can I request?
- Use the Academic Training calculator to determine your eligibility
1. EAP and other non-degree category students can request Academic Training up to the length of their program. (i.e. 3 months of study = 3 months of eligibility).
2. Degree seeking students can request up to 18 months of Academic Training.
3. Doctoral students can request and additional 18 months of Academic Training upon the completion of their degree.
- What if I am a graduate student with a 75% appointment?
- All J-1 students in good standing may be authorized for on-campus employment authorization. Employment is limited to 20 hours a week (50%) except for official school breaks and the student’s annual vacation, when it may be full-time. During the academic terms, 75% appointments are not allowed.