The Global Ambassador Mentorship Program is designed to help new freshmen and transfer international students successfully transition to life at UC Davis. The students who run the program, the Global Ambassador mentos, act as mentors and, most importantly as friends to help new international students excel in their new lives at UC Davis. Participants will be able to share their culture and values with their mentor and receive support from them. Through this community of cultural exchange and by participating in our social events that the Global Ambassador mentors offer, new students will develop close connections with new friends and feel at home in their new community.
Global Ambassador mentors organized all sorts of fun activities like:
- Trip to the world's largest Corn Maze
- Halloween Party
- and many more!
What is a mentee?
The Global Ambassador Mentorship Program helps new freshman and transfer international students better understand U.S. culture and the UC Davis campus. The Global Ambassador mentors are a dedicated group of UC Davis students that are trained mentors who will be there to answer any questions or concerns you may have, and help you adjust to life at UC Davis.
Mentors help new students (mentees) as a:
- Support person during the transition of becoming a UC Davis student
- Invaluable resource to explain and introduce new students to UC Davis services and American culture
- Friend to share cultures and spend time together
Besides helping with issues related to UC Davis and cross-cultural adjustment, the Global Ambassador mentors plan monthly meetings and many social activities in order to help international students get to know each other and to integrate better with their new community. Some of the events that have been done in the past include: a Lunar New Year dumpling-making event, a Halloween party with pumpkin carving and costume contest, Valentine’s Day card-making, and a St. Patrick’s Day Potluck, as well as special workshops for mentees such as the “American Slang Workshop”.
Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS) is seeking mentors to assist international students in adjusting to the UC Davis campus and to introduce U.S. culture. This is a valuable opportunity to learn intercultural leadership skills and understand your role in a global community. SISS’ goal is to have a group of mentors who are both from the U.S. and from countries all over the world. International students and American students from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply! There are no citizenship or permanent residency requirements to participate. However, to receive the stipend, students must be eligible for employment in the U.S. If you have any questions about this or your eligibility, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Selected ambassadors will take an Intercultural Leadership Class in spring quarter and participate in an internship fall and winter quarter, which includes a transcript notation.
Applications are for mentor positions are closed. The application period typically begins in winter quarter. Stay tuned for 2019 deadlines!
- Pen pal and social connection during the summer before students arrive in the U.S.
- Cultural interpreter and support system to ease new international students into U.S. culture and life in Davis
- Community leader in expanding the campus international community and developing programs
- Satisfactory academic progress (2.50 GPA)
- Completion of one full university level academic year (3 quarters) by July 2019
- Significant experience working, living or studying in an international or cross-cultural context (can be abroad or in the U.S.)
- A genuine willingness to learn from and about different cultures
- Basic understanding of a language other than English and willingness to use it
- Familiarity with campus organizations and experience in project planning and working in team settings
- Contributions to a diverse workplace through ideas or experience and ability to support and advance the campus Principles of Community in all activities.
- Demonstrated or potential for leadership in thought and action to effectively guide mentees for successful experience in UC Davis
- One year commitment: Spring Quarter 2019 to the end of Winter Quarter 2020
- Intercultural Leadership Class during Spring 2019. You must be able to attend a 2-unit P/NP class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:10 p.m.—5:15 p.m., beginning Tuesday, April 2 during Spring quarter 2019
- Internship Duties: Be able to commit 40 hours per quarter, including assisting with orientation prior to Fall quarter, serving as a mentor during Fall and Winter quarters, serving on one Global Ambassador mentor committee to plan and promote events and foster the international community at UC Davis
- Contact with your mentees will begin mid-summer before they arrive in Davis.
Upon successful completion of the program, qualified candidates will be able to have a transcript notation, a $250 stipend at the end of the Fall quarter 2019, and another $250 stipend at the end of the Winter quarter 2020.