Housing 101: Getting Started
Living in the Davis area can be expensive, so it is important to set a budget as to how much you can spend on housing. Here are some important questions to consider when you start thinking about housing:
- How much money are you willing to pay monthly for rent? (highest to lowest)
- What expenses are included in the rent that is advertised? (ie. does it include gas, electricity, water, laundry, etc.)
- Are you comfortable living with a roommate? How many roommates? Are you okay with living with someone of the opposite gender (male or female)?
- Are you comfortable living in a private home and living with the rules for the private home? (i.e. rules about whether you can have visitors, whether you can have full use of the kitchen, what kind of food you can cook, how late you can return to the house, etc.)
- Will you need fully furnished housing or do you plan on buying furniture? Is it important to you to cook your own food or are you okay with eating in restaurants and cafeterias?
- Do you plan on using the bus (public transportation) or a bike to travel to the University? Do you plan on buying a car and driving to campus? If so, have you included the cost of gas and parking in your budget calculations?
- Do you know the distance from your housing options to the campus? Please be aware that the UC Davis Medical Center is in the city of Sacramento and is approximately 21 miles from the city of Davis.
- When can you move into your housing?
Learn more about avoiding scams.