H-1B Specialty Worker

Scholars with Gunrock the Mustang

H-1B Overview

The H-1B visa classification is for non-immigrant employees in a “specialty occupation,” where the position requires a specific degree and the employee has the specific degree (minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a specific field).  The H-1B also has minimum wage requirements that must be met by the employing department and requires the filing of a Labor Condition Application (LCA) with the Department of Labor (DOL) prior to filing an H-1B petition with the USCIS (immigration service).  Departments at UC Davis would usually sponsor an H-1B status for employees who have full-time teaching and/or research appointments for the duration of a period of proposed employment for which secure funding is available.