Unlawful Presence FAQs

October 15, 2018
On October 8, 2018, SISS hosted a panel presentation to discuss UCSIS changes in counting days of unlawful presence. This page contains questions from international students, scholars and UC Davis staff and answers from the panel of Services for International Students and Scholars advisors.

H-1B Specialty Worker

H-1B Overview

The H-1B visa classification is for non-immigrant employees in a “specialty occupation,” where the position requires a specific degree and the employee has the specific degree (minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a specific field).  The H-1B also has minimum wage requirements that must be met by the employing department and requires the filing of a Labor Condition Application (LCA) with the Department of Labor (DOL) prior to filing an H-1B petition with the USCIS (immigration service).  Departments at UC Davis would usually sponsor an H-1B status for employees