Coronavirus Information and Resources for UC Davis International Students and Scholars

We continue to follow the developments of Coronavirus (COVID-19) and monitor situations on campus and around the world. Your wellbeing and educational experience are our prioritiesSee the updates and resourcesThe UC Davis International Center is currently closed, but we are still here to help: please email your SISS advisor directly with questions or to set up a remote appointment. Find your advisor listed on our Contact Us page.

J-1 & J-2 Final Departure

woman handing tea to another woman

How to prepare for departure

We hope you have a productive and enjoyable experience at UC Davis.  When a J-1 scholar finishes his or her time at UC Davis, the scholar should do the following things:

  • Complete and submit a J-1 scholar departure eForm found in iGlobal.  Email this form to SISS or drop it off. If the J-1 scholar has J-2 dependents, this will serve as their departure form as well.  No other form is needed for J-2 dependents.
  • If the J-1 scholar has also been a UC Davis employee, be sure to give a change of address to the department and the accounting office, so that any tax forms will be mailed in the following year.
  • International scholars may want to set up “mail forwarding” at the US post office so that mail is forwarded to the next address.
  • It is best to give a change of address directly to a credit card company, bank, phone company, etc. to make sure all final bills are received.
  • If scholars have dental or medical records, it can be helpful to get copies of those records to show the next medical professionals at the next destination.
  • Sign up for the SISS listserv to sell any furniture, bikes, etc. and/or sublease any remaining time on an apartment.

J-2 early final departure

If a J-2 dependent has been accompanying a J-1 scholar and decides to leave the US permanently significantly before the J-1 scholar’s final departure, the J-2 dependent should submit their own “J-2 Dependent Early Departure” eForm in iGlobal. The link to the iGlobal portal can also be found in the “J-1 Scholars and J-2 Dependents” section of scholar forms under Resources and Forms

J-1/J-2 scholars in research scholar category 

If you completed your program as a J-1 research scholar (see box 4. on your DS-2019 document), the 24-month (two-year) bar on repeat participation applies to you and your J-2 dependents. This means you and your J-2 dependents will not be able to return to the US as a J-1 research scholar during the next 2 years. 

The 24-month bar on repeat participation for J-1 research scholars does not prohibit J-1 research scholars from returning to the US in any other non-immigrant status, such as tourist, student, J-1 short-term scholar or H-1B employee.   If you have concerns, please contact your SISS scholar advisor before you leave.

Reminder for J-1/J-2 visa holders in ALL J categories

Remember that ANY J-1 scholar in any category is prohibited from returning to the US in H-1B, L-1 or permanent resident status if subject to the two-year home residence requirement (“212(e) requirement”).  If subject, a J-1 visa holder must return home for two years before he or she can obtain H-1B, L-1 or permanent resident status in the US. This applies equally to all J-2 dependents.  To determine if you are “subject to 212e,” check your visa stamp and/or the lower left corner of your DS-2019. If you have concerns, please contact your SISS scholar advisor before you leave.