Services for H-1B Scholars
We encourage new H-1B scholars to meet with an H-1B advisor at SISS for orientations. These meetings last about 30 minutes and cover issues such as legal requirements for maintaining your H-1B status, obtaining a driver’s license, obtaining a social security number, travel while in H status, and many other issues. We will also give an orientation to the Davis or Sacramento area if H-1B employees are new to this area.
Advising at UC Davis and the UC Davis Medical Center
H-1B scholars can also meet with an international scholar advisor at any time to discuss any questions or concerns. For H-1B scholars in Sacramento at the UC Davis Medical Center, it is possible to meet with an advisor in person during a monthly visit to that campus, as well as meeting with an advisor in Davis at any time. Please contact Gayle Oberlies for more information about advising at the UC Davis Medical Center.
SISS maintains an ongoing list of information special to international scholars, such as health care requirements, international travel on your visa, and getting a social security number. Please visit our resources page for more information.
Call SISS (530-752-0864 ext. 0) or reserve an appointment at our front desk.
New Employee Orientation - Main Campus (Davis)
New Employee Orientation is two sessions:
- Online Orientation: Provides an overview to the campus community, university mission, Principles of Community and key policies, and benefits to working for UC Davis. In order to complete this course, you will need to first have a UCD Login profile and then register for the Learning Management System. Once logged in, search for "NEO" to find and launch the course.
- Employee Benefits Orientation: an in-person presentation, provides new employees with important information related to the university's retirement and health and welfare benefits. Pre-enrollment is required for Employee Benefits Orientation. If you have a UCDLogin, you may register on-line. You may also call Staff Development & Professional Services at (530) 752-1766.
New Employee Orientation - Sacramento Campus (UC Davis Medical Center)
Orientation is mandatory for all new employees and available both as on-site training and as web-based training. This class provides information about the UC Benefits Program, UC Davis Health System culture and values, employee support services, common personnel policies, and safety training.
- UC Davis Med Center: New Employee Orientation Page
- Monthly On Site Training: These classes cover New Employee Orientation and Safety training, usually starting at 8am and concluding by 2.05pm. Employees who arrive late may not be admitted. Attendance is scheduled by Human Resources Recruitment. Please contact the Training & Development unit or your recruiter for questions about in-person New Employee Orientation or the next available session.
- Electronic New Employee Orientation (eNeo): This class is offered online and lasts about 120 minutes/2 hours. For best results, please log into your profile for the UC Learning Center first before starting the class.
Postdoctoral Scholar Orientation
Postdoctoral Scholar Orientation: A separate benefits orientation is held for Postdoctoral Scholars. More information and the calendar of quarterly sessions is available on the Graduate Studies webpage.