Community resources include some of the essential services that are accessible to new international students, scholars and their families.
International House Davis is a non-profit organization that is not part of the University of California, Davis, but is closely affiliated with the University and is located close by at 10 College Park. International House Davis serves the entire Davis community by offering many programs to the general public, which includes our UC Davis international students and scholars. Their programs include English conversation groups; a Friendship Family program for anyone who would like to have a connection with an American family; a Connections Group for international spouses; as well as many other events and programs. International House Davis also hosts the biggest International Festival in Davis each year in October. Visit their website for more information.
We hope that international students and scholars will participate in many activities in the area throughout their stay. To find information on local and regional clubs, libraries, places of worship, etc., click on the links below:
- City of Davis and the City of Davis Wiki
- City of Sacramento and City of Sacramento Wiki
- Yolo County (Woodland, Davis and West Sacramento)
- Sacramento County (including the City of Sacramento, Roseville, Arden and Arcade)
- For UC Davis Employees
- Davis Bike Club: Non-profit organization dedicated to cycling and cycling related activities.
- Davis Community and Theater Events: Volunteer to be an usher.
- Davis Golf Club: Non-profit organization open for membership to all golfers wishing to play in either a competitive or social setting.
- Davis Sport Leagues: Sign up for Flag Football, Men or CoEd Softball, or Basketball. There are also Youth Leagues available.
- Davis Rotary Club: Rotary is an organization of business and professional leaders united worldwide who provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world.
- Davis Toastmasters: Improve your public speaking skills and develop leadership skills with a diverse group of students and non-students in Davis.
- Pamela Trokanski Dance Workshop: For children and adults, these dance classes vary from Ballet, Modern, Earth Rhythm, Hip Hop, and more!
- Yolo Hiker: This website has lists of comprehensive descriptions of outdoor recreation centered in Yolo County.
Community Religious Resources
- Congregation Bet Haverim
- Davis Community Church
- Davis Shambabla Meditation Center
- Islamic Center of Davis
- Newman Catholic Center
- Sacramento Freethinkers, Atheists and other Non-Believers
- St. James Parish
There are a number of opportunities in Davis and Sacramento for family members (as well as international students and scholars) to practice or improve their English language skills.
Davis Area English Classes
Davis Adult School
Davis Adult School offers classes in English and other languages, computers, arts and crafts, dance and fitness/health. Their calendar conforms to UCD's quarter system, although students may begin classes at any point during the quarter. They offer mostly evening classes and a few daytime classes. A placement test is required prior to enrollment. Classes tend to be inexpensive.
International House (I-House) Conversation Groups
The International House (I-House) in Davis offers English conversation groups. People gather in small groups to practice English in informal conversation. Membership in the International House is inexpensive and students can attend as many conversation groups as they like. Visit the International House webpage for more information.
UC Davis Extension
UC Davis Extension offers many independent study programs, including an Intensive English Language Program. Classes are held during various times of the year, including summer.
Sacramento Area English Classes
ESL Program at Sacramento City Unified School District
Sacramento City Unified School District offers ESL courses and a certificate program through the Charles A. Jones Career and Education Center.
ESL Program at Sacramento City College
Sacramento City College (SCC) offers a variety of ESL courses (“English as a Second Language”) during the summer, as well as during the Fall and Spring semesters (which do not match up with UC Davis’ quarter system).
English Language Institute, Sacramento State University
Sacramento State University offers 8- and 17-week programs at all levels of English as a Second Language (ESL) through their English Language Institute. Prospective students must apply to participate in their program of choice 60 days in advance.
English Language Conversation MeetUp Group
The Sacramento area English language conversation group welcomes anyone from any country who speaks English or is learning to Speak English. An account through MeetUp is required to register for meetings.
Sacramento is the closest large city to Davis and hosts the medical campus, the UC Davis Medical Center. About 17% of UC Davis' International Scholars work on this campus as postdoctoral scholars and researchers.
Resources for Living and Working in Sacramento
- Housing: Craigslist, Housing Maps and the Sacramento Bee
- UC Davis Medical School: Living in Sacramento
- UC Davis Medical Center: Weekly Farmer's Market
- Sacramento: 2-1-1 Sacramento
- Sacramento: Local Wiki
- Sacramento: Yelp