Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions about Curricular Practical Training
  • Are there any circumstances in which an international student can volunteer off-campus and NOT need authorization?  Does all off campus volunteering require CPT authorization? 
  • Off-campus volunteer work is always tricky and you should always consult with your SISS advisor before undertaking it.  If the volunteer work is related to your major, you must o

Curricular Practical Training Eligibility

To be eligible for Curricular Practical Training:
  • You must be in good academic and immigration status. 
  • You must be pursuing a full course of study, except during official school breaks and vacations. 
  • CPT is considered off-campus employment (paid or unpaid) and requires authorization from SISS before you can begin. 
  • If an internship is not required for

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training Overview

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorization permits F-1 students to take an off campus job (work/study, internship, cooperative education, or practicum) that is directly related to their field of study and commensurate with their educational level.