Students sipping on coffee together

Transferring Out/Leaving UC Davis


There are a number of reasons that international students leave UC Davis. Sometimes they have completed their program and are transferring to another school to start another program. Other times, they are interrupting their program at UC Davis to take a quarter off, or to temporarily transfer to another school before continuing their program back at UC Davis. Regardless of the reason, SISS International Student Advisors are here to help you maintain your status and ease the transition.

When to Make an Appointment with an SISS International Student Advisor

  • Withdrawing
  • Taking a planned Leave of Absence (PELP)
  • Canceling your registration
  • Transferring to another school to start a new program
  • Transferring to another school because of a dismissal

You do not need to make an appointment to see an SISS International Student Advisor if you are graduating.  If you are an F student or J student and have questions about your grace period following the completion of your program, come to SISS during drop-in advising hours.

Transferring from UC Davis to Another U.S. Institution

Important terminology:

  • When transferring from UC Davis, UC Davis is the transfer-out school.
  • The school you are transferring to is the transfer-in school.

Transfer-Out Quick Options

*International students must demonstrate English language proficiency prior to being admitted to UC Davis. When transferring out to a language program, be sure to document the reason(s) why participating in a language program will be beneficial to your academic progress in the future. This documentation is for your personal use and can be presented to a USCIS or SEVP official in the future if ever questioned about your decision to transfer to a language program.

Transfer-Out Instructions 

F-1/J-1 students must complete and submit a transfer out request to SISS through iGlobal if planning to start a new program of study at another school in the United States. In order to maintain valid immigration status, F-1/J-1 students must follow this immigration transfer process:

  • Obtain admission to enroll at the transfer-in school.
  • Complete the transfer out request to SISS through iGlobal. You will be required to upload a copy of your letter of acceptance or proof of admission. (Note: Some admitting schools may also have an additional or "Transfer Verification" form for SISS to complete, which you can also upload.)
  • If you are unsure about which day to schedule your transfer, work with your assigned SISS International Student Advisor.
  • Upon the SEVIS release date, the transfer-in school will have access to your SEVIS record and be able to issue an I-20/DS-2019 for transfer. The UC Davis I-20/DS-2019 will no longer be valid.
  • Make sure you understand implications to ending employment if you transfer while on OPT.
  • Complete your transfer process at the transfer-in school. Your transfer must be completed no later than 15 days from the start date on the new school I-20/DS-2019. Contact the transfer-in school’s international student office regarding your transfer completion process at that school.

Other Important Transfer Information

  • In order to transfer to another institution, you must maintain valid F-1 or J-1 status.
  • You must apply to transfer to the new institution:
    • F-1 – within 60 days after the last day attended at UC Davis
    • F-1 Post-Completion OPT – within 60 days after the end date on your EAD card
    • J-1 – prior to the end date in Section 3 on your DS-2019
  • You are no longer eligible to work on-campus at UC Davis, and your CPT or OPT is cancelled after the release date.
  • Speak to an International Student Advisor if you need to cancel your transfer.