Practical training authorization permits F-1 students to take a job that is directly related to their field of studies and commensurate with their educational level.
In most cases, you must have been a full-time student for at least nine months prior to applying for practical training permission. You may work in practical training either prior to or after completion of studies.
- Must be in good academic and immigration status.
- Must be pursuing a full course of study, except during official school breaks and vacations.
- Off-campus employment (paid or unpaid) requires prior authorization from SISS.
How to Apply
- Check out the CPT Online Workshop
- Apply in iGlobal
- Use the CPT Calculator to determine full-time CPT limits
- Handout for Employers — A handout to help educate potential employers about hiring international students
- Internship Programs Under the Fair Labor Standards Act — A factsheet from the U.S. Department of Labor
- Employment for F-1 Students On, Off Campus and International Interns — Basic employment guidelines from the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Social Security and Tax Issues — Information about social security and medicare tax exemptions
|Date:||Time and Location:|
|Friday, October 5||3:00pm - 4:00pm Int. Center 3119|
|Friday, November 9||1:15pm - 2:15pm Int. Center 3119|
|Friday, December 7||3:00pm - 4:00pm Int. Center 3119|
Location: All workshops will take place at the UC Davis International Center. See above for room numbers.