GoinGlobal provides all the resources students need to fast-track their academic and career objectives. From pre-departure advice to ensure a positive study abroad or internship experience to identifying employment opportunities at home and abroad, GoinGlobal is the proven competitive advantage for success at all levels of the university experience.

Unlawful Presence FAQs

On October 8, 2018, SISS hosted a panel presentation to discuss UCSIS changes in counting days of unlawful presence. This page contains questions from international students, scholars and UC Davis staff and answers from the panel of Services for International Students and Scholars advisors.

Optional Practical Training Eligibility

To be eligible for Optional Practical Training:
  • You must have completed at least one academic year with the same SEVIS number (found at the top left side of page 1 of the I-20). 

  • You must apply prior to the end of the 60 day grace period following the quarter/term in which all requirements for graduation are met (for graduate students this means all degree requirements except dissertation/thesis/project). 

Optional Practical Training FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions about Optional Practical Training
  • Can I travel while on OPT? 
  • Please refer to our travel webpage for detailed information about traveling while on OPT. 

Curricular Practical Training FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions about Curricular Practical Training
  • Are there any circumstances in which an international student can volunteer off-campus and NOT need authorization?  Does all off campus volunteering require CPT authorization? 
  • Off-campus volunteer work is always tricky and you should always consult with your SISS advisor before undertaking it.  If the volunteer work is related to your major, you must o

Curricular Practical Training Eligibility

To be eligible for Curricular Practical Training:
  • You must be in good academic and immigration status. 
  • You must be pursuing a full course of study, except during official school breaks and vacations. 
  • CPT is considered off-campus employment (paid or unpaid) and requires authorization from SISS before you can begin. 
  • If an internship is not required for

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training Overview

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorization permits F-1 students to take an off-campus job (work/study, internship, cooperative education, or practicum) that is directly related to their field of study and commensurate with their educational level.  

STEM OPT Extension

STEM OPT Overview

Students in F-1 status who are currently on OPT can extend their work authorization an additional 24-months total if they meet certain criteria. Students who extend are required to maintain their status under the new regulations.  Official Department of Homeland Security guidance on the new STEM rules can be used as a resource if needed.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Optional Practical Training Overview

Optional Practical Training (OPT) gives an F-1 student the opportunity to apply what they have learned in a degree program through off-campus employment after completion of all degree requirements. 

Employment approval can take several weeks to 90 days or more, so careful planning is required. We recommend submitting your OPT request in the earliest timeframe possible according the OPT Timelines below.”

Academic Training (AT)

Academic Training Overview

Students in J-1 status may accept employment under certain conditions. If you have questions about or would like to determine your eligibility for J-1 employment, please contact Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS).

Academic Training is authorization that allows a student to participate in practical training directly related to the major field of study.