Housing 101: What Should I Look for?
Depending on your budget and preferences, there are many housing options in and around Davis that may suit your needs. When you're looking for housing, it's important to be familiar with the different types that are most commonly listed in housing ads.
- Room in a Shared House: renting a room and living with an individual homeowner, family, or group of other students. You can expect to share general living space like the kitchen, living room, and bathroom. It is important to understand all the privileges and limitations a private home-owner may want before making any type of agreement.
- Apartment: A set of rooms with separate bedroom(s), bath, kitchen, living room. Most apartments are rented unfurnished (without furniture). Some apartments are advertised as "furnished." This means that a minimum amount of furniture is included with the rental.
- Studio Apartment: An apartment where the living room and bedroom are combined into one room but there is a separate bathroom. Some studios have a separate kitchen and some do not.
- Duplex: Two separate houses that join together at one of the outer walls. Sometimes, a duplex is not much bigger than a one or two-bedroom apartment.
- Condominium: Similar to an apartment, but each unit is privately owned.
- House: A multi-room living area (bedrooms, kitchen, dining room, living room, family room) plus a private yard and garage.