STEM OPT Extension

STEM OPT Overview

Students in F-1 status who are currently on OPT can extend their work authorization an additional 24-months total if they meet certain criteria. Students who extend are required to maintain their status under the new regulations.  Official Department of Homeland Security guidance on the new STEM rules can be used as resource if needed.


Students currently authorized for Optional Practical Training (OPT) who also:

F-1 Students


Most students coming to UC Davis use the F-1 visa. The most important responsibility of F-1 students is maintaining your lawful status. Below are a few things of note about students in F-1 status.  

Student Employment

Employment for F-1 Students

Students who enter the U.S. in F-1 status can access certain employment benefits. Students remain in F-1 status and are approved for certain employment benefits as they become eligible.

Student Forms

Overview All student forms are located in iGlobal

Processing times:

  • Four (4) weeks for an initial I-20 or DS-2019 for a newly admitted freshman or transfer students

  • Two (2) weeks for all other requests

The SISS student team will do their best to process your request in a timely manner. However, submitting your request inside the processing time may result in a benefit denial. 

Other Work Status Types


International scholars may come to UC Davis on a variety of work statuses that are not sponsored through SISS, including these three categories:

1. Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

Non-immigrants can gain employment authorization through a variety of circumstances, including:

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

CPT Overview

Practical training authorization permits F-1 students to take a job that is directly related to their field of studies and commensurate with their educational level.

In most cases, you must have been a full-time student for at least nine months prior to applying for practical training permission. You may work in practical training either prior to or after completion of studies. 

On-Campus Employment

On-Campus Employment Overview

As a student in F-1 or J-1 status, you may work on-campus up to 20 hours per week during the academic year, and full-time during school vacation periods.