Originally posted: June 1, 2020
Last updated: June 4, 2020
On May 29, 2020, President Donald Trump issued a Presidential Proclamation effective June 1, 2020, that suspends entry into the United States for some researchers and students at the graduate level and higher on F or J visas. Specifically, this proclamation applies to those who:
- receive funding from an entity in the People’s Republic of China (PRC) that implements or supports the PRC’s military-civil fusion strategy
- are currently or have been employed by, studied at, or conducted research at or on the behalf of an entity the People’s Republic of China or that supports the PRC’s military-civil fusion strategy
This proclamation is to be applied to individuals seeking to enter the U.S. In addition, it makes provision for the possibility that it could be applicable to nationals already in the U.S. on an F or J visa and who otherwise meet these criteria through a review and revocation of their visas by the U.S. Department of State.
Please note that this does not apply to undergraduates, foreign nationals who are not studying or conducting research in a field that would contribute to the PRC’s military-civil fusion strategy, legal permanent residents and their spouses, foreign nationals who are members of the United States Armed Forces or those who have a spouse or child who is a member, foreign nationals studying or researching in fields that would not contribute to the PRC’s military-civil fusion strategy or whose entry would further the United States law enforcement objectives, among other exceptions.
At this time, there is no known termination date for this suspension. SISS is researching to find additional details about the proclamation’s implementation. The U.S. government has not published a list of the specific schools or areas of study and research that this proclamation covers.
Resources and FAQs:
- A summary and FAQ from the University of California
- Immigration Alert from Wolfsdorf Rosenthal Immigration Attorneys
- Summary of Presidential Proclamation Suspending Entry of Certain Individuals from China from the American Immigration Lawyers Association and American Immigration Council
Please do not hesitate to reach out to your SISS advisor with questions or concerns.