Frequently Asked Questions about Taxes

General Information for those Eligible for Glacier Tax Prep

  • How can SISS help me with my taxes?
    • The SISS office does not have tax expertise and cannot provide answers to questions regarding taxes.
    • To help, SISS offers free access to Glacier Tax Prep (GTP), a tax preparation program that assists international students and scholars in "nonresident" status to file a Federal tax return. In the United States a “tax return” is a form on which a taxpayer makes an annual statement of income and personal circumstances, used by the tax authorities to assess liability for tax.  Those eligible to use this service are any international student or scholar who was present at UC Davis any time during 2021. Those eligible should expect to receive an email with access in mid to late-February.
    • The GTP program should be able to help answer your tax questions.
  • What can GTP help me with?
    • Determines your U.S. tax residency status
    • Determines eligible tax deductions, allowances, and credits
    • Reviews eligibility to claim income tax treaty exemptions
    • Calculates TAX REFUND (or tax due).  Prepares ALL required federal tax returns, statements, and forms (including ITIN Application) for YOU and your nonworking SPOUSE and CHILDREN
  • Do I need to file State taxes?
    • To find out if you need to file a state tax form, please visit the State of California Franchise Tax Board's "Part-Year Resident and Nonresident" webpage for more information. You can also chat live with a representative from the State of California Franchise Tax Board to answer general questions regarding personal income tax or get help with their website. 
    •  You can also consider using Sprintax, a tax preparation program to help file state taxes.

Additional Tax Information 

  • What is the deadline to file my taxes?
  • Most people must submit their tax returns by mid-April.  Please visit the IRS When to File webpage for more information on tax filing deadlines.
  • Where can I find my W-2 form?
  • UC Path recently released the 2021 Form W-2. Please login to your UC Path account at to download your  Form W-2.   All UC Path-issued W-2 forms are available. 

    If you have any questions regarding your Form W-2, please contact UC Path at 855-982-7284 or submit an inquiry in your UC Path account.
  • I am a former employee. I can’t log into the UC Path portal to obtain my UC Path Form W-2. What can I do?
  • Please contact UC Path at 855-982-7284. They need to have a record of your personal email address. UC Path will need to grant you access to the former employee portal for you to retrieve your tax documents and/or earning statements.
  • I need a copy of my 2019 or any Form W-2 prior to UC Path conversion (before October 2019). Where can I request for one?
  • Please complete a Form W-2 request. You can submit the completed form to the Central Payroll office via email at
  • Where is my Form 1042-S?
  • Current year form 1042-S will be available through your Glacier account. The current target release date is February 11, 2022. If you indicated that you did not want electronic access to your 1042-S, TR&C will mail your 2021 Form 1042-S for fellowship payments to the address on file in Glacier as soon as they are available.
  • How can I obtain my Form 1042-S from previous tax year(s)?
  • We can retrieve the Form 1042-S issued by UC Davis. This covers all Form 1042-S prior to the UC Path conversion in October 2019 and fellowship payments. Please send a message to and indicate the tax year.

    With the UC Path conversion, they handle the Form 1042-S for wages/salary/bonus starting October 2019. You will need to contact UC Path at 855-982-7284 or submit an inquiry in your UC Path account to obtain previous Form 1042-S for wages/salary/bonus.
  • Why is the option to use Glacier Tax Prep (GTP) greyed out in Glacier?
  • GTP is unavailable at the moment in Glacier.  You will need the access code from SISS office to waive the filing fee. If you have questions about your access code, please contact SISS at

    GTP is a tax program for individuals that have a nonresident alien status to file their federal tax return. You will not be able to use GTP if your tax residency status is a resident alien for U.S. tax purposes. Please refer to your Tax Summary Report. It will indicate your tax residency status.
  • Can I get the access code to GTP?
  • SISS office issues the access code. They will send the access code in late February or early March via email with an email address of
  • Where is my Form 1098-T? I have questions about my Form 1098-T?
  • Please refer to Student Accounting’s webpage regarding Form 1098-T. If you have any questions regarding your Form 1098-T, then please contact Student Accounting via Contact An Expert. For the “My question is about” field, select “Student Accounting.” For the “My question’s topic is” field, select “1098T Tax Form.”
  • How can I obtain my Form 1099-MISC?
  • Please send a message to and indicate the tax year to request for your Form 1099-MISC.
  • How do I get a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)?
  • Please visit our Social Security webpage for more information on obtaining an SSN or ITIN.
  • I need help with filing my federal and/or state tax returns. Can Tax Reporting & Compliance (TR&C) help with filing tax returns?
  • No. TR&C staff are not certified tax preparer/professional tax accountant. Therefore, TR&C cannot provide formal tax advice. Please see below for resources.

    SISS: General Tax Information
             Tax Filing Resources

    IRS:   Choosing a Tax Professional