How SISS Can Help
SISS staff are not allowed to advise on tax matters because it is against the law to give tax advice unless a person has received the proper training. Taxes can be confusing, even for those who have lived in the U.S. for a long time. SISS provides access to tax software and trained tax professionals through GLACIER Tax Prep which we hope will be helpful to you as you complete your IRS tax reporting requirement.
SISS offers complimentary access to tax preparation assistance only on Federal taxes. It is your decision on whether to use this service or to find your own resources. If you choose to finish your federal tax return on GTP, based on the information entered into GTP, you will have the opportunity to click on a link to continue on to Sprintax for assistance in preparing a state tax return. You are responsible for any applicable fees through Sprintax.
GLACIER Tax Prep is the tax resource SISS has arranged to help international students and scholars affiliated with UC Davis with their tax reporting requirement. Most students and scholars can successfully complete their tax reporting requirement using GLACIER Tax Prep . You are NOT REQUIRED to use GLACIER Tax Prep , it is just one option available to you.
GLACIER Tax Prep is a web-based tax preparation software program designed exclusively for international students, scholars, and their dependents identified as a nonresident alien for tax purposes in the U.S. during any time in the previous calendar year.
This software becomes available each year in mid to late February allows you to:
- Get step-by-step instructions in completing your tax return
- Determine the correct tax forms you need to fill out
- Complete your tax return from abroad if necessary
- Get information on fellowships and tax treaties
- Get information on printing and mailing tax forms
- Get technical and tax support from GLACIER Tax Prep
- Complete your Federal tax return at NO COST to eligible international students and scholars