Tell Us What You Think Of This Website

International students and scholars, and department contacts: Share your opinions and experiences on our website, and enter a drawing to win an Amazon gift card. 

Take the survey with your Google account

Resources from the virtual California Income Tax Workshop on March 14, 2024 
Presentation slides in PDF
Non-resident step-by-step example
Resource list


The tax system in the U.S. is very complex and, in the case of California, involves filing both a Federal Tax Return and a California State Tax return each year by April 15. Many Americans find the system difficult to navigate so they decide to hire a tax accountant to assist in filing an accurate and complete tax return. Many Americans also use a variety of tax software packages to help them file their Federal and State Income Taxes. SISS offers tax software created specifically for international students and scholars to assist with filing Federal Tax Returns. This software is available to international students and scholars at the beginning of March each year. All international students and scholars who were in the U.S. all or part of the previous calendar year should receive an email from SISS each year, explaining the steps for using the software. 

Unfortunately, SISS cannot assist with any tax advice as tax advice should only be offered by Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) or Registered Tax Return Preparers. Tax law is a separate area of law which is complex and requires a tax expert. For most international students and scholars, it is possible to file taxes without expert assistance by using the software offered through SISS and by reading and researching the necessary information, as is common practice in the U.S. However, for those who have complex financial situations, or who need help filing either their State or Federal tax return forms, SISS offers the following list of resources (in addition to the online tax filing program we will provide), specifically to assist people who file “non-resident” tax returns. The list below is for informational purposes only and provides contact information for CPAs who wished to have their information added to our website. 

SISS does not verify or endorse any specific tax expert, service or resource. 

More general information and an introduction to the U.S. tax system for international students and scholars is available from the IRS website, Tax Information for Foreign Students and Scholars.

Acceptable ways to prepare your taxes:

  • You can download forms directly from the IRS (and from the FTB, if you earned income in California), which can be used to prepare your tax return yourself.

  • You can hire a tax accountant to prepare the tax return for you.

  • You can hire a company to prepare your tax return for you (internet search "tax preparation" for options). For example, Sprintax, tax partner of Intuit TurboTax.

Tax Preparers to Consider:

Need someone to prepare your tax return? See

H & R Block: 638 G Street, Davis CA 95616
Rebeca Alatorre Quintana, Sr. Tax Advisor
Arfa Siddiqui, Sr., Tax Advisor 
Karen Ward, Enrolled Agent
Muhammad Aslam, Sr. Tax Advisor
Phone: 530-756-3993 | Fax: 530-792-1088

Taxes & More: 423 F St, Suite 207, Davis, CA 95616
D Christine Krieger, EA
Phone: 530-902-8958 | Email:

Gary R. Engler & Company, CPA's: 11845 W. Olympic Blvd., Suite 900, Los Angeles, CA 90064
Gary R. Engler, CPA, CFP
Phone: 310-440-5557 | Fax: 310-440-5559 | E-Mail: